Monday, April 27, 2009

The Lone Diner





Are you a lone diner more often than not?
I too sometimes dine alone in the comfort of my tiny abode. A glass of wine for the lone cooker is a simple pleasure to enjoy when cooking.
A few simple dishes can make your night a perfect and indulgent dinner for 1!

Simple risottos, made with a good quality stock, a good dash of wine and a heavy hand of Parmesan make a delicious meal. Paired with a glass of white wine, serve's perfectly as a delicious lunch the next day.

Budget friendly meals are all the buzz; meatloaf, spaghetti bolognaise and dahl are meals which can double as a lunch placed between some sourdough or in a pida and toasted or placed in the freezer ready for your next solo dinner!

I recently had a girlfriend over for a meal, I checked out the fridge and cupboards and with the few ingredients present I was able to russle up a divine dahl for 2! It must have been sweet as I received a phone call yesterday whilst I was at the beach asking for the dahl recipe from my friend.

I first learnt this recipe when I was a Uni student from an Indian neighbour in the Halls of residence, mine is not quite as hot as hers and you can add more heat if you prefer. This recipe was a saviour then and has continued to frequent my kitchen table throughout the last 10 years.

I always have fresh herbs and spices, if it was possible I would grow them however my tiny dot of an apartment restricts my inner green thumb from coming out, much to my dismay.

I get around this by purchasing the freshest spices or grinding them myself. To keep them fresh store them in the freezer, or away from direct sunlight and heat, which renders them unsavoury to cook with. Try this dahl and if you don't have these spices at hand then don't stress, you can experiment with other spices.

Amie's poor uni day's dahl

the ingredients

2 teaspoons cumin

1 teaspoon coriander

1 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika

1/4 teaspoon chilli

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds

1 cup red lentils, washed thoroughly*

3 cups (450ml) water or stock

1 bunch coriander, washed, chopped separating stems from leaves

1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes, optional

1/4 cup natural yogurt

grated rind and juice of a lemon

salt and pepper to taste

let's have some fun

Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add lentils, water and coriander stems. Cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until lentils have softened. Add tomatoes and a sprinkling of sugar, cook for a further 5 minutes. Add lemon rind and coriander leaves and stir to combine.

Distribute warm dahl evenly into serving bowls, top with a dollop of natural yoghurt and a sprig of fresh coriander.

bon appetite!

PS - This is great served with a tomato and avocado salsa and some warm pide or jasmine rice.

* Add lentils to a jug of cold water, using your fingertips rub the grains together, strain water, re-fill jug with water, repeat a further 2 times, rinsing lentils thoroughly before using. This reduces the risk of the nasty after effects legumes such as red lentils can give us after eating them.

love amie x


Posted by Picasa

No comments: