Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pearly Pomegranite's

Posted by PicasaSunday breakfast or brunch's are an absolute favourite for me.... I excitedly look forward to the one date I keep with myself and any one of my friends who will accompany me each week.

Whether its with your girls for a long, lazy, lip smacking gossip session or quality time spent with your partner or shared with family; each option is as good as the other.

At a friends home sharing breakfast, I was asked to prepare the pomegranite...

I have to confess, in all my love of food i had never prepared pomegranite. Yes i'd read all about this beautiful fruit. I had eaten this delightful treat at beautiful restaurants; with watermelon, in salads, as a marinade and even in sauce's.

How could it be that I had not prepared this at home or through my working career....

That morning I learnt 'How to' de-seed a pomegranite....

here I will share my learnings with you ;-)

1. Score the outside edge of the pomegranite several times, lengthways (we like to use The Chefs Toolbox ct-edge paring knife).

2. Submerge pomegranite into a bowl of clean water.

3. Break apart the pomegranite, removing the seeds from the fruits membranes carefully (the pearly seeds will fall to the bottom of the bowl).


4. Remove the rind from the bowl & strain the seeds, pat dry.

This technique, I was told would eliminate the risk the tiny little red pearls bursting and staining my lovely & clean white top I was wearing! (they obviously know me very well!!!)
But I still managed to get red dots all over my white top!!!

These little delights are one of the oldest known fruits in history and some believe that the apple in the garden of eden was in fact a pomegranite.

This truly exquisite fruit has many uses and is more versatile than you will believe; great served with watermelon in a fruit salad, used to add colour, flavour and bulk to stuffings, made into a thick molasses, served alongside chicken or lamb...

Love mini g x



Posted by Picasa

No comments: