Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Favourite Mother Recipe's







There is no nicer way to enjoy time & memories with your mum than in the kitchen. I still call my mum for recipe inspiration, she lives in a tiny rural town where she grew up and where she also bought up her three girls (myself included). In this town sharing a recipe over a cup of freshly-brewed tea is a time-honoured tradition.

My Mother you see is one of the most caring & giving people I know (not that I am bias) but many a times we would come home to find that we had an extra or two for dinner whether it was a simple mid-week meal, Christmas day or for a Sunday BBQ. Mum 'just thought' she would invite Noel from next door or 'what's his name' who was new in town to dinner so they weren't lonely. It did become a slight family joke of who would turn up next to dinner but the generosity and caring nature of mum was always well recognised and received, even in our best attempts to try and 'stir the pot'.


Like my favoured lollie the licorice all-sort I love variety in all aspects of my life; food, fashion, people, culture and the environment but I also love to re-visit old favourite's; such as old recipe's and these ones are inspired by my mother and her friend's, these are recipes you just cant get your hands on anywhere and ones you just don't read about! I absolutely love how each of these recipe's has their own special touch or spin. Each individual taking full ownership and certainty that their recipe is by far 'the best' or most 'superior!' This is country living at its best and something I am blessed and lucky to have felt first hand and been apart of.

Here are a few of my favourite recipes I have grown up with.

lets try...Edna's 1-step patty cakes

the ingredients

1 3/4 cup self-raising flour

1 cup caster sugar

pinch salt

120g butter, melted

125ml (1/2 cup) milk

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla

let's have some fun

Pre-heat oven to 200C/180 C fan forced for fifteen minutes.

In a medium bowl add all the ingredients and stir until well combined. Spoon tablespoonfuls of the mixture evenly into patty cases until 3/4 full.

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked. Allow to cool before icing with your favourite icing; chocolate, lemon, passion fruit (my child-hood favourite) or strawberry!

In previous blogs you can find these delicious recipes under the archive....Mum's overnight bran muffins & Lumberjack love heart cakes are a treat for breakfast and afternoon tea. Nana's fairy cakes, Vivvy's Florentines & Sandra's Ginger creams are still to come exquisite and I cant wait to share them with you!


love amie x


ps - this story was inspired by my boyfriend who like my mother is a kind and generous soul and will do for others what most people would turn a blind eye to. I think your new friend's on Sunday night feel blessed you were passing by at the time you did!



"Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver."
Barbara De Angelis

2 comments:

Unknown said...

not happy with the photos
aunt b

Amie said...

So sorry aunt b, that you dont approve!!! I will make it up to you...