Thursday, April 24, 2008

Confessions and obsessions of finding the ultimate Buffalo Mozzarella ...












Dear Cheese Lovers,
Last night I dined with a friend, who is a devout food lover also!
'Buffalo Mozzarella', she said. 'I am sooo obsessed'.

This brief statement sparked memories of my own obsession I had with this soft white Italian cheese.

The love affair begins...

Rotterdam 06' - Opazzo restaurant - Present Myself & Jess

Unable to stop our catch up chattering, caused by our worldy distance, we quickly peruse the Dutch written, Italian menu.

Together we pronounce 'the buffallo mozzarella to start'.

The waiter smiles happily telling us in his best English ' the Italian mozzarella has just arrived ladies, flown in today from the Caserta province’

We both smile, and ponder the benefits of living so close to Italy.

The love affair continues......
Rome 06 -

In search of a mozzarella bar!
In my research of Roma, I read of a place, that serves ONLY mozzarella, a mozzarella bar, it is called!
Obika (Piazza di Firenze - corner Via dei Prefetti) – translation "here it is" in Neapolitan dialect

Traipsing around Roma in + 30 C heat sweat dripping from every inch of my body, I felt the weight of my backpack heighten with every step.
Onwards I persisted…. up and down cobbled streets, through piazza’s, past the gelato I so craved in this heat.

My attention span and interest was slowly growing fainter in the sizzling Italian heat.
But my stubbornness and inquisitiveness persisted and I couldn’t think of a more serene place to be at that moment… So I just had to find it….

Finally, lost and bewildered I sit down at a tiny trattoria and order pizza.
Looking over my map, trying desperately to piece together the last 2 hours, frustration kicks in. I arrive to a realization that I have just run around in circles.

I stubbornly decide to abandon my search for the ultimate ‘mozzarella experience’ and move on from this obsession.

Wandering back I see a tiny red sign, with the words Obika, which ironically translated means ‘here it is’ in simple white writing.

In a daze I follow the sounds of people laughing and turn the corner to find my sanctuary.

I sit down uncertain as to how or what to order. Exhausted I simply point to what my neighbors are eating, as it looks superb and order one of everything.

Present Day 08’
The love affair is re-kindled
Thanks to Lib xox

No comments: